There are total 9 Sunnah Points of the body where Prophet Muhammad Sallallaho Alaihe Wasallam were performed hijama or cupping therapy. These are the sunnah points of Hijama or Cupping Therapy
- On Top of the Head
The first of hijama sunnah points is located on top of the head. This point, known as Ummu Mughits or ‘Ala Ro’si, is the ‘mother of diseases.’ Many diseases originated from this point. Because of this, hijama done on this point will cure lots of diseases. For instance, headache, vertigo, migraine, sinusitis, glaucoma, acne and mental disorders. Hijama on this point is also known to improve memory and intelligence as well.
- On Neck
The second and third points are on the back of the neck, just below the hairline. This point is known as Al Akhda’in. Hijama in these points will cure stiff neck, stiff jaw, headache, toothache, sore throat and swollen face.
- On the Shoulder
The fourth, fifth and sixth points are located on the shoulder. The fourth point is known as Al Kahil. This point is located at the lowest level of the neck. Hijama on this point will cure a headache, flu, cough, asthma, high blood pressure, and bronchitis.
The fifth and sixth points, known as Al Katifain, are located on the right and left the side of the fourth point. Hijama on these points will cure poisoning, stroke, pain on the shoulder as well as improving blood circulation to the head and to the hands.
- On the Waist
The seventh and the eighth points, known as Al Warik, are located on the right and left the side of the waist, on the same line with the navel. Hijama on these two points will cure irregular period, difficulty in urination, digestion issues, kidney issues and improving blood circulation in the lower parts of the body.
- On the Legs
The ninth points, known as Dzohril Qodami, are located on the left and right calves. Hijama on these points will cure urinary tract disease, pain in the legs and improve blood circulation in the legs.
Hadiths About Sunnah Points
- In Ghazwah Khyber while our beloved Prophet Muhammad s.a.w was poisoned, he took Hijamah at 3 points on the KAHIL, we feel that a cup was applied behind the heart (at the left of KAHIL), & the third was either a little bit lower to this point OR on the right side of KAHIL, Allah Knows the best.
- Abdul Razzaq narrated that, “A Jewish woman brought to Prophet Muhammad Sallallaho Alaihe Wasallam a roasted sheep that she had poisoned, while he was in Khyber. Our beloved Prophet asked, ‘What is this, She said, a gift, being careful not to say that it was from charity so that he would not eat it. Prophet Muhammad Sallallaho Alaihe Wasallam and Sahabah (his companions) ate from the sheep, then our beloved Prophet said, “Stop eating”. He said to the woman, ‘Did you poison this sheep?’ She said, “Who told you that” ? He said, this bone,’ meaning the ewe’s leg that he had in his hand. She said, “Yes”. He said, ‘Why?’ She said, I thought that if you were a liar, the people would be relieved from you. However, if you were a true Prophet, it would not harm you.’ Prophet Muhammad Sallallaho Alaihe Wasallam then used HIJAMAH (cupping) thrice on the KAHIL (upper part of his back) and commanded that his Companions do the same. Yet, several of them died.”
- Narrated by Ibn Majah, on the authority of Ali Radi Allaho Anh that angel JIBREEL advised Prophet Muhammad Sallallaho Alaihe Wasallam for Hijamah at Akhda’ain (posterior jugulars) and KAHIL (upper back ~ between the shoulders).
- Reported by Abdullah Bin Bujainah Radi Allaho Anh that Prophet Muhammad Sallallaho Alaihe Wasallam took Hijamah on the center of his head (Yafookh) and he was in Ehraam while his journey to Makkah. (Name of the place where they stopped is mentioned as Lahyi Jamal)
- Abu Dawood narrated that Jabir Radi Allaho Anh said that Prophet Muhammad Sallallaho Alaihe Wasallam used Hijamah (wet cupping) on his hip because of a debilitation he suffered from.
Reported by Anas Radi Allaho Anh that (while in Ehraam), Prophet Muhammad Sallallaho Alaihe Wasallam took Hijamah on the top of his foot due to the pain in that area. Narrated by Abu Dawood